Attorney Profile of East Bay Business & Tax Lawyer Jonathan C Watts
Jonathan C. Watts, Esq., understands the need for integrated legal solutions that emphasize tax efficiencies. His tax expertise is a common thread that runs throughout his practice bolstered by his LL.M. in Taxation Law that he received in 2011, and the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization’s honor of the distinction of a Certified Specialist in Taxation Law–which distinguishes him from other general business or tax firms. His offices are located off the 680 Freeway in San Ramon and Concord, California.
You can find Jonathan on Google+ Facebook and Twitter. Jonathan provides one-on-one legal assistance and legal advice to a diverse mix of professionals and business owners from the San Francisco Bay to the East Bay and beyond.
- Business Transactions: Represent corporations, limited liability companies, professional entities, partnerships, and nonprofit organizations in formation, governance, structure, ownership transition, and dissolution. Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of contracts, including the following: mergers & acquisitions; transactions involving UCC Articles 2, 9, and 10; secured transactions; licensing and transfer of intellectual property; commercial real estate transactions, and other business contracts. Provide tax planning and advice regarding relevant tax issues such as choice of entity, tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, partnership tax allocation issues, doing business across state lines, international transactions, partnership tax planning, family limited partnerships, S-corporation tax issues, and property tax reassessment planning.
- Corporate Governance: He understands the need for integrated legal solutions that emphasize tax efficiencies. Jonathan uses this tax understanding to represent corporations, nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, professional entities, and partnerships in formation, corporate governance, ownership transition, and dissolution.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Jonathan’s tax sensitivity and “finger on the pulse” of thorough and astute tax solutions, is seen throughout his drafting, reviewing, and negotiating letters of intent, acquisition agreements, and ancillary agreements; performing due diligence; and overseeing closing of transactions.
- Estate Planning and Trust Administration: Jonathan expertly drafts basic estate plan documents including a living trust, wills, powers of attorney and health care directives with an eye on structuring these estate plan documents to strategically utilize all the tax advantages available. He also represents clients in probate and trust administration matters, and advises clients as to relevant tax issues
- Tax Law: Jonathan deftly handles tax sensitive transactions and regularly advises on tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, international transactions, intellectual property matters and partnership tax issues. Counsels and represents clients on state and federal tax planning and tax controversies, including federal income tax, California income tax, property tax and reassessment issues, sales tax, and estate and gift tax. Represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities.
Frankel & Goldware, LLP, San Ramon, CA. Transactional Lawyer, June 2004 – Dec. 2010. Practiced corporate law and general business transactions:
- Corporate Governance: Represented corporations, nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, professional entities, and partnerships in formation, corporate governance, ownership transition, and dissolution.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated letters of intent, acquisition agreements, and ancillary agreements; performing due diligence; and overseeing close of transaction.
- Managed estate planning and trust administration practice.
- Promoted to non-equity partner March 2010.
The Partners, Riverside, CA. Transactional Associate, Nov. 2002 – May 2004. Practice emphasis in entity formation, estate planning, probate, and trust administration.
Downey Brand, Sacramento, CA. Litigation Associate, Sep. 2000 – Nov. 2002. Practice emphasis in commercial lease enforcement, debt collection, and general business litigation.
- California State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization has Certified Jonathan C. Watts as a Specialist in Taxation Law,
- University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, AL.
LL.M. in Taxation, Magna Cum Laude, Aug. 2011.
- U.C. Davis School of Law, Davis, CA.
J.D., Order of the Coif, Jun. 2000.
- Pacific Union College, Angwin, CA.
B.A.in History, Summa Cum Laude, Jun. 1996.
Danville Area Chamber of Commerce:
- Board Chair, 2012
- Member of the Board of Directors, 2007-Present
- Vice Chair of Membership, 2009 – 2010
- Vice Chair of Economic Development, 2008
Member of the San Ramon Valley Rotary Club 2011-Present
Member of the Board of Directors, San Ramon Valley Education Foundation, 2014-2017.
Selected “Rising Star” by Northern California Super Lawyers, 2010
Selected “Rising Star” by Northern California Super Lawyers, 2013
Selected “Rising Star” by Northern California Super Lawyers, 2014
Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association, Tax Section, 2009-Present
- “Help! I Think My Spouse Is Cheating (On His Taxes)” Contra Costa Lawyer, June 2011
- “Watch Where You Step! Common Pitfalls In Expense-Sharing Agreements A Popular Option For Many Solo Attorneys…But One Fraught With Peril!” Contra Costa Lawyer, April 2009